28.12.07

crisis lifesaver

You've surprised me, dear...

It had been over a year since we last saw each other (at your birthday party, remember?) and talked eye-to-eye.
(I know) There has always been some unfinished business between us two, leading nowhere (my bet), since we first met (years ago) at a cosy dinner party in London. Even then, despite sitting next to your ex we could not but please each other's eyes... remember? (others did notice)
Two Fire Horses entertaining each other's "mental palate".
Common friends thought (and did tell me) that we should marry our fortunes together but I was never convinced.
You are a fine descendant of one of the noblest (and heroic) English families (ever) also with respectful connections to Portugal - and that (for one) should have suffised. But it didn't. 'Any Other Woman' would have jumped to the opportunity. Not Me.
However, I was always struck by your blue eyes... and above all by your impressive manners and gentleness towards me. You also have a quaint mix of a tender male voice with a brit stiff upper lip always showering me with the right words... and baring in mind that I am a Romantic Venusian in its truest sense...

Late night, I was having a hell of a crisis. Big Time. Worsened by the fact that a (supposed to be) lighthouse was switched off (for me). My phone rang. And out of the blue there you were - as if by magic.
We talked lightly, season's small talk.
Still you insisted in knowing how was I doing (abroad). And it poured out. Open heartly.
YOU listened and made your well thought remarks (as usual). And as if guiding me out of a storm into a safe harbour, YOU healed my distraught emotional state of being and recomposed my train of thoughts in a more orderly way.
And I stood (tearfully) still, acknowledging your precious input (and approving of it).
Then there was a long mutual silence followed by a smile on my lips (that you were unable to see). I closed my eyes and was indeed grateful to YOU.
YOU finally broke that silence and suggested we should talk about all of this and more (you added) over a meal and a glass of wine.
"Do come back to England (arrojaste) and when you do, please do let me know. Maybe we should get together and talk eye-to-eye... When do you forsee your return? When shall I expect you (back)?"
"Don't" (murmurei eu a custo) (julgo que nem ouviste).
And yet, in that precise moment I felt as if we were indeed Man & Wife for the duration of a (long distance) phonecall...